Over the weekend we had an opening reception for our Modern Quilt Exhibition at the Bernina Sewing Studio Gallery, and were so pleased with the amazing turn out! It was great to see so many people showing up from all the different areas of Lincoln's quilt scene, and it was really fun for the artists to talk about modern quilts.
The next meeting for the Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild is tomorrow, Tuesday, January 26, 2016 from 5:30-7:00pm at 1265 S Cotner Blvd in the Piedmont Shopping Center. There will be a presentation on the Modern Quilt movement, a new quilting challenge, and of course everyone's favorite - SHOW AND TELL! So bring a project you're working on, bring a friend and come see what Modern Quilting is all about!
Become a member!
See more photos from the opening on the LMQG Facebook page!
Monday, January 25, 2016
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
We have a lot going on in our newly "official" guild. We just became the newest members in the National Modern Quilt Guild!
We hope you have had a chance to visit our first Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild Exhibition from Jan 8th to Feb 23rd in the Bernina Sewing Studio Gallery. Admission is free during store hours. There will be a reception at the Bernina gallery on Jan. 23rd from 1 – 3 p.m. we hope you will come out to see some of us and our quilts. Free admission. Members need to wear their name-tags to the reception. Please tell you family and friends.
***Our first meeting of the year kicks off on Tuesday January 26th at The Bernina sewing studio (make link) 5:30 – 7:00 pm.
The meeting topic is all about “What is modern quilting? How did this movement get started? And where are we headed? We hope you will join us for this discussion.
-We have more information about our outreach quilt that our guild members created. This is currently on display in the Bernina Gallery and will go to it's new home later in Feb. so come and see it now!!
-Member Sheila Green will be giving The Bernina Club Sew talks on Feb 2nd about Modern quilting. Times are 9:30, 1:30 and 6:30. If you would like to attend one of those the cost is $5.00.
- On our schedule is the National quilting day at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum on March 19 from 9 to 3 pm. “Modern Quilting “ talk will be at 11:00 and 2:00. Members from our guild will be needed to man the upstairs tables during this event. Greeting visitors and talking about modern quilting with them. Sheila Green will have more information on the shifts and what is required. More information at the meeting.
Hope to see you at the LMQG reception on Sat and at our first meeting of the year on Tues Jan 26th. Bring your show and share!
If you would like to receive our newsletter please sign up in the box on the Right hand side of this page.
If you have any questions you can contact us at email@example.com
See you soon.
Friday, January 8, 2016
Welcome to the New Year!!!
LMQG Quilt Exhibition
at the Bernina Sewing Studio
Jan 8th - Feb 23rd
Free admission during store hours
Bernina Sewing Studio
1265 S Cotner Blvd, Suite 27Lincoln, Nebraska
I hope you come and see the show! Our guild has just joined the National Modern Quilt Guild this year. We are a very new group and welcome all skill levels and styles of quilting. Many of the quilts you see in this show are members who want to learn more about modern quilting while some have already embraced this ascetic.
Below are some basics of what is Modern:
Modern quilts and quilters:
- Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- Contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Often use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
If you would like to learn more about Modern quilting our meetings are on the last tues of the month, here at the Bernina Sewing Studio (Jan - Oct) All are welcome to come and check us out. You can subscribe to our newsletter by filling in your email in the box in the right sidebar.
Next meeting is Jan. 26th at 5:30-7:00 p.m.