An Evening with Peg Pennell: How to enter quilt contests and what quilt judges look for when evaluating your quilt.
A huge thank you to Peg for all the great information about entering quilts in contests and challenges! Some things judges look for when evaluating quilts are:
- Design (Visual Impact)
- Technique (Does the piece lay flat, edges hang correctly, are the corners square, is the quilting appropriate, are the quilting stitches even, is the binding well attached and filled and are the mitered corners sewn shut)
- Read the Rules
- Enter in the correct category
- Take quality photos of your quilt
- Label your piece with the name, size and contact information
- Enter SOMETHING and share it with people!
- Learn from the judges comments to improve your workmanship. Realize that those comments and ratings are one judges opinion on that day.
- Quilt what you love!
|Peg Pennell showing some of her quilts|
|2016 President, Colleen James, being presented with an improv quilted wall hanging made by the 2016 board. L-R Kristie Jarchow, Nancy Goff, Jennifer Van Dyke, Linda Crump, Colleen James. Not pictured, Sheila Green|
March Show and Tell
|Top L-R: Linda Crump, Rhonda Eddy, Sheree Brown, Marsha Conley, Julie Karjala|
|Top L-R: Linda Gale, Pat Kant, Maggie Copple, Colleen and Brooke James, Chris Taylor, Jennifer Van Dyke|
Check the Facebook page for more photos!
Have you started your Curves Ahead Challenge pieces yet?
Check out our Pinterest board for inspiration!
April 8th: Dyeing Workshop with Mary Dittenber
Where: Bethany Park Shelter, 10 am-2 pm
More details HERE
April 8th: Sew Day 10:30 am - 3:00 pm at the IQSCM
April 25th Meeting: Kristie Jarchow on Technology in a Modern Quilt Guild
Road Trip to the Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival.
Contact Sheila Green
More details HERE
At the IQSCM
June 11: Hearing the Quiet: Soft- Focus Painted Fabrics with Linda Colsh
9 am - 4 pm $85 members, $100 non-members
June 11: Wool Rug Hooking Workshop with Polly Minnick
12-4 pm $85 for members, $100 non - members
June 17: My Doll and I Get Groovy with Sheila Green
10 am - noon & 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
$16 for members, $20 for non - members.
From the Modern Quilt Guild
The Joy of Quilting by Thomas Knauer.
Thought You'd Like
Free Ezine: Modern By the Yard