Saturday, January 5, 2019

January Sew Day




Kick Off the New Year with the first
 Open Sew Day!

January 2019


Hello and Welcome to a new year at Lincoln MQG!

We are each excited to take on and be a part of the leadership for this modern quilting group. I (Kristie) have been involved with the creation of this guild going back to the very beginning. I love all kinds of quilting but really gravitate towards Modern quilting elements. I also gravitate even more so to the community behind and involved with this recent Modern Quilting Movement. Social media has influenced my quilting so much over the last few years, though I am technically challenged and new to “smart” anything..  I think as a quilting community, online or in person, we have much to share with each other and can help each other to be more creative.

I (Phyllis) could not wrap my mind around modern quilting when I first heard of it. It seemed to emerge on-line, but after that???? But there was no way I was going to let a new quilt guild get past me so I came to check it out. I was hooked! I love the freshness and the energy and the focus on creativity. I want to help promote that kind of creative energy and learn something new at the same time. I hope all of you will share your talents because that way we will all grow and learn and have a blast doing it.


Our intent for the year is to have greater involvement from members and to be more interactive within our guild meetings.  We hope for better understanding of what Modern quilt making is all about and how it changes from year to year. A strong emphasis on creativity in quilt making and designing of your own quilts and challenging you to think or try outside your comfort area.


We hope to collaborate with other groups for teaching opportunities that may arise. We want  to draw on you, our talented members to share what you know and learn and teach what you learn to help bond this quilting community..


A quote from Maya Angelou: “When you learn, teach, when you get, give.”


We look forward to sewing days together and opportunities with possible small groups and classes. We hope that if you have an interest you will reach out and offer to teach or learn and share what you learn.
The year is fresh and new. Let’s be creative together.


Phyllis Higley
Kristie Jarchow


Co-Presidents LMQG 2019




Bring projects to work on, by hand or machine, and show & tell.

Sewing supplies, rulers, mats, thread, scissors, rotary cutter, etc

While there will be a cutting surface and ironing station, feel free to bring your own.

Extra Extension cords/power strips appreciated


Upcoming:

Regular Meeting: January 29, 2019, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM - IQSCM - 1523 N 33rd, Lincoln, NE

Sew Day: February 9, 2019 -  10a - 3p - Eisley Library, 1530 Superior St, Lincoln, NE - New Member Meet and Greet

March 2019: National Quilting Day at IQSCM- See Sheila Green for details

June 2019: Road Trip to KC Regional Quilt Festival - See Sheila Green for details





For information on current challenges see or Challenge Page.


For more information on local quilt projects see our Community page.

No comments: