Welcome to the New Year!!!
LMQG Quilt Exhibition
at the Bernina Sewing Studio
Jan 8th - Feb 23rd
Free admission during store hours
Bernina Sewing Studio
1265 S Cotner Blvd, Suite 27Lincoln, Nebraska
I hope you come and see the show! Our guild has just joined the National Modern Quilt Guild this year. We are a very new group and welcome all skill levels and styles of quilting. Many of the quilts you see in this show are members who want to learn more about modern quilting while some have already embraced this ascetic.
Below are some basics of what is Modern:
Modern quilts and quilters:
- Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- Contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Often use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
If you would like to learn more about Modern quilting our meetings are on the last tues of the month, here at the Bernina Sewing Studio (Jan - Oct) All are welcome to come and check us out. You can subscribe to our newsletter by filling in your email in the box in the right sidebar.
Next meeting is Jan. 26th at 5:30-7:00 p.m.