Thursday, May 20, 2021

May Meeting 2021

 


Please join us for our Second national speaker this year, Irene Roderick! Her artist background and improvisational style are sure to inspire new works for our guild.


Irene_Roderick.jpg 

 

From her About page on her website:

 

"My artwork is currently grounded in the textile arts, focused on quilt making and fabric dyeing.  I am trained as a painter and I have always been interested in pattern and color and how these elements can evoke emotional and political responses. A few years ago, I encountered modern quilting and loved the idea of making a “utilitarian painting.” I learned to quilt and accidentally discovered improvisational quilting, an intuitive, spontaneous process I call "dancing with the wall.” The technique opened up a new-found creativity for me. This work is entirely intuitive and visceral.  

 I begin by placing a scrap of fabric in the center of my design wall and then grow the quilt one element at a time, responding to each “step” until it feels balanced, interesting and joyful. When I begin, I do not know  what is going to happen but create through trial and error, literally dancing between the wall, the cutting mat, the sewing machine and the iron. Through this act of making, I have learned to embrace the joy of creative intuition, spontaneous expression, and a blind trust in process."

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meetings: May 25 (Irene Roderick), Jun 22, Jul 27, Aug 31, Sep 28 (Amy Friend), Oct 25, Nov 30
Please check your email for the Zoom invite
 
Sew Days: Jul 10,  Sep 11, Nov 13 (in person IQM, odd months)

Workshop: Oct 2 $25 Improvisational Paper Piecing by Amy Friend. Limit 20 people
 
Kansas City Regional Quilt Show: Jun 17-19

 

 

No comments: